Saturday, April 4, 2009

Easter Bread

I usually spend my Saturdays clipping and organizing coupons, running errands and doing some light cleaning. Today, I am adding baking Easter Bread into the mix. It can't be Easter without having several loaves of Easter Bread on hand to enjoy. I'm sharing this recipe here but it is my grandma's recipe. If you use it, please do so with love and respect ;-)

I will probably make 2 batches today. Each batch makes 3 loaves. My first batch is on the first rise right now. Hubby saw me kneeding the dough and asked why I didn't just use my bread machine :-O This is my GRANDMA'S recipe!!! One of the reasons why it tastes so good is the love and sweat that goes into making it BY HAND!!!

So, here's the recipe but PLEASE adhere to the rules - NO BREAD MACHINE - LOVING HANDS ONLY!

2 packages of dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup warm water
Mix these ingredients together and let the yeast "proof" for 30 minutes

To the proofed yeast add:
1 pint (2 cups) of milk
1 stick of butter
1 cup of sugar
5 eggs
1 tablespoon of anise extract
1 teaspoon of salt
about 7-8 cups of flour - enough to make a good bread dough

After combining and kneeding, let rise for 1 1/2 hours
"Punch down" and then let rest for 10 minutes
Divide dough into 3 lightly greased loaf pans
Let raise in pans for 1 hour
Lightly brush the tops of the loaves with beaten egg
Bake for 1 hour at 300-325 degrees

It's not easy or fast. Those would normally break all rules of my kitchen, but this is Easter Bread! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment