Monday, April 6, 2009

Sausage Sandwiches and Stuffed Peppers

So, yesterday I meant to take some hamburger out of the freezer and make a meatloaf for dinner. Well, I didn't take it out until very late and it was still frozen solid when it was time to make the meatloaf. When I put it back in the refrigerator in the garage, I noticed the freezer door ajar. Everything was still frozen except some Italian sausage had started to thaw. I immediately put that in the fridge to use up this week.

Fast forward to me organizing my coupons. I found a "$6.00 off your next purchase" coupon that was expiring yesterday! Good thing the grocery store is open 24/7! I quickly put together my shopping list and headed out the door.

The thawing hamburger was weighing on me because I don't have time to make meatloaf during the week. I usually make a 3lb meatloaf and it takes at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours to bake. So, when I was picking up a couple peppers for the sausages, it dawned on me to pick up a few more and make stuffed peppers!

I woke up this morning to find that my wireless router had bitten the dust. So I went straight from work and picked up a new one. I came home and made sausage sandwiches (recipe to follow!) then hooked up the router then put all the ingredients together for stuffed peppers to cook in the crockpot tomorrow (recipe to follow!) That's enough excitement and exhaustion for one night! Here's the recipes:

Sausage Sandwiches
Brown the sausages in a pan with a small bit of olive oil. Remove them from the pan and set them aside. Saute thinly sliced onions and green peppers in the oil and sausage drippings. Add the sausages back to the pan and cover with spaghetti sauce. I use locally made Mids Meatless as that is my favorite! Warm through and serve on thick, crusty, hoagie rolls with a slice of provolone cheese if you wish (I do!)

Stuffed Peppers
Brown ground beef and a large onion in a pan. Add about 2 cups of cooked rice. Cut the tops off of green pepper and stuff with the beef/onion mixture. Place in crockpot. I always make extra filling and heap it on top of the peppers in the crockpot. My son is 17 but still likes to eat the filling with no peppers! Top with any tomatoes you have on hand. I sometimes use tomato puree or crushed tomatoes. This time, I got a deal on Italian Sauce a couple weeks ago so I used a can of that. Cook it in the crockpot for about 8 hours.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment