Sunday, August 2, 2009

Meatloaf

After finishing the coldest July on record, I'm REALLY hoping that August will bring us REAL summer weather. Here we are at day two and it's not looking good so far.

This week is our community's Pro Football Hall of Fame Festival. Starting with this past Friday, there are activities every day. We went to the Balloon Fest last night but there were storms too close by so the balloons, sadly, did not lift off. We did stay for a great fireworks display. We headed out to the lake for a bit today but it was too cloudy and chilly to even have our swimsuits on so we never did swim.

We came home and since I had some time on my hands, I made a meatloaf. This is my husband's favorite meal and he always begs me for it. I am not such a fan and even worse, I hate "handling" raw meat and I hate that, since I make a 3lb meatloaf, that it takes almost two hours to bake so I really only make it when I have plenty of time.

There is no recipe. I use 3 lbs of hamburger, two eggs, some grated Romano cheese, a grated onion (I hate big chunks of onion in my meatloaf) some minced garlic, oregano, basil and bread crumbs. All amounts are just eye balled.

I make this into a loaf that often looks more like a log. I bake it for 1 hour at 400 degrees and then turn it over in the pan. I use Mid's meatless spaghetti sauce to spread on top (what used to be the bottom!) and bake it for 30 - 60 more minutes, checking occasionally to see if it is cooked through.

My son is beginning to take after his dad, he had, at least, a one pound helping on his plate for dinner tonight!

As a side dish, I marinated a diagonally sliced zucchini and two yellow squashes from my garden in Italian dressing and threw them on the grill for a few minutes.

This will probably be our only home cooked meal this week as we have plans every night this week - either appointments or participating in Festival activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment